Thursday, June 16, 2011

My New Year's Resolution I Actually Stuck To

As a ballet dancer I have to watch what I eat.  I usually make sure every meal or snack has some nutritional benefit.
Dancing requires a dependence on the body to cooperate and hold up.  Filling up on junk food before class isn't going to fuel it properly.  I'll feel sluggish and might have trouble picking up combinations being thrown at me.
 Protein, carbs, and good fats provide energy, a sharp mind, and injury fighting power.  I believe in having a well rounded diet that includes a variety of nutritious foods.  That being said, there is one strict restriction in my diet.  Sugar.
Sugar and I don't get along well.  I love to dance, but eating sugar decreases my energy level and strength to dance.  January 2nd was the day I completely eliminated it from my life.  This doesn't mean natural sugar, like the kind you find in fruits.  I mean cakes, ice cream, pies, and all that other good stuff.
I'm proud of how I've stuck to my New Year's resolution, over six months later.  I should mention though of the few times I strayed.  Valentine's Day and the week after it was a disaster.  I had every intention of cleaning up my act once the candy I received was finished off, and that didn't take long.  The months leading up to Easter were pretty pure, but once Easter did arrive it brought another set back.  This one was less drastic.  I only overindulged on the actual day, and I had enough control to eat about one candy a day after that.  I learned my lesson from Valentine's Day.
Since I've finished off my Easter candy, which was back in late April or early May, I don't think I've had a single dessert.  It feels good knowing I have the discipline to refrain from eating what will harm my ability to dance.  My love for dancing is enough to motivate me to persevere in keeping this change. 
I don't want you to think every dancer has to, or does live like this.  Different things affect different people, and as long as it's in moderation I don't see anything wrong with treating yourself.  This was just a personal decision based on the way my body reacts to sugar.

3 comments:

  1. I eat way too much sugar; I should follow your example and try to cut down a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you drink your coffee? I mean, you should put sugar in it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't drink coffee, I prefer tea. You think coffee needs to have sugar though? I thought some people actually preferred it without

    ReplyDelete