Sunday, June 12, 2011

Dancers Love Pilates

Following a common trend among dancers, I've recently become a fan of pilates.  It does a great job of exercising the whole body, while focusing on quality of movement.  I find the exercises to be almost dance-like, done in a rhythm and with emphasis on proper form. 
My first urge to try pilates appeared last year in the later part of summer.  Heeding this impulse I sought out a pilates DVD.  Sadly the one I found didn't suit me, and my first few weeks of practicing pilates was time wasted.  The DVD went untouched for months, until a few weeks ago when I pulled it out and gave it a second chance.  I had attempted it a few more times with little more success when this last Tuesday it quit working.  That occurrence became a blessing when it turned into the push I needed to try out another DVD.  I honestly don't know why the thought didn't occur to me in the first place, but all well better late than never. 
I found one called Cardio Sculpt Pilates and I love it!  Being a dancer myself, I like how the instructor, Lizabeth Garcia, is a dancer as well.  The exercises are easy on the mind without losing the challenge on the body.  I can almost pretend like I'm executing choreography, as Garcia leads me from one movement to the next, smoothly and gracefully.  There's a sense of purpose in each exercise.
 I'll continue doing pilates three times a week.  It's not to hard to fit it in my day because it's only thirty minutes long.   As soon as results show up I'll be sure to blog about it. 
If you like the sounds of this workout you can order your own copy of this same DVD from Amazon.  It also includes a twelve minute strength training bonus workout lead by Tracy York.  You don't have to be a dancer to enjoy the amazing benefits of pilates.  It truly is a great workout for anyone wanting to get in better shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment