Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tight IT Bands

One of the many benefits of my ballet training is the flexibility I've gained from it.  Most parts of my body are limber, but that doesn't mean stiff areas are nonexistent.
Tight IT bands are common among people who are active, and I'm no different.  It's full name is iliotibial band, and it's found on the outer thigh, connecting the pelvis, lower, and upper leg. 
One of my Pointe magazines says ballet dancers can prevent this spot from tightening by limiting the use of turn-out to the hips.  Of course every ballet dancer knows it's only true turn-out if it comes from the hips, but I'm sure many dancers are like me and didn't realize they were using other body parts to achieve rotation.  I can't say I was completely ignorant of this technical flaw.  I was aware of it at times, but I was also hoping it had been corrected.  I think it's better now, but like everything else I'm not done striving to improve.
Until I find the feeling of properly rotating my hips to create honest turn-out, I'll add a few stretches designed to loosen this area to my regular routine.  Here is a link to a Website that gives more information on tight outer thighs, as well as a few stretches to prevent or cure the problem.

 http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_6_22/ai_n7578592/

Pointe magazine also suggests rolling the IT band over a foam roller.  That's something else I'll be trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment