Thursday, July 21, 2011

Staying In Shape During Down Time

Just because I'm not dancing doesn't mean I've gone completely sedentary.  I'm still exercising, but I keep it relaxing.  I want to focus on enjoying my physical activity during this break.
On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I do Pilates.  Although challenging, I find this exercise to be very calming at the same time.  
On Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, I go through my dance conditioning routine.  This isn't actually dancing, it's just a workout with a Thera-Band.  It's intended purpose is to improve technique and strength for a variety of  dance styles.  The creator of this routine recommends continuing it during breaks.  He claims it will help sustain a pretty high level of fitness without working the muscles too hard.  We'll see if he's right.
I've also gone on a walk by the water with my dad.  I love doing this, because as long as you keep the speed up you can just talk and enjoy the view, while still doing something beneficial to the body.  We walked at a brisk pace for almost an hour, and my mind was free from thinking too much about what I was doing.
We have a net in the backyard that we use to play badminton.  It's definitely a fun way to get some exercise.  I think making exercise into a game is a good way to get motivated.  I played three games last night and had a great time, even though I only won one of them.
So you see, I am still keeping active.  My mind and body need a break from the intensity I forced out of it, but I won't be sitting around all day either.

No comments:

Post a Comment